Pages

Search

Thursday, April 21, 2011

When Cloud Computing Fails........

This is just going to be a quick post, but I wanted to make mention of this. Today Amazon's EC2 cloud service took a nap after making extra backups of itself, filling it's storage and causing services to crash. Read more HERE.

I just tried to access a service I use called SpringPad which is a cloud service that provides a quick and easily accessible way to take notes and sync them between multiple platforms. Needless to say, I can't get to my notes which is keeping me from completing a project......see where I am going with this?

Take this as a lesson in cloud computing, do not take a online service for granted and rely on it solely, or else you or your business could be grounded for hours, costing money and resources. Nothing beats having local software on local hardware complimented with a good backup plan, in my opinion.

I backed up my notes a couple of days ago and stored them, I just have to wait until the morning to get them on my work computer.